signal sequence for secretion from insect cells

Hi everyone,

A (by now late) Happy New Year!

We have our first request for expression of a secreted protein.  As we only have insect cells running right now (no mammalian system yet) we want to express this in insect cells.  Can anyone  tell me what signal sequence we could use?  This is a human protein - is it likely that the native signal sequence will lead to secretion in insect cells?  (this would speed things up as we have no vectors with insect cells signal sequences yet) Thanks in advance for any advice!

best,

peggy

Posted on 17-Jan-2013 14:52 CET
Peggy Stolt-Bergner

HI again,

Ok, I just read the thread regarding mammalian signal sequences and saw that honeybee mellitin and Bip are being used for insect cell secretion.  But if anyone can tell me if it is worth trying the native sequence I would appreciate it!

best,

peggy

Posted on 17-Jan-2013 14:57 CET
Peggy Stolt-Bergner

HI again,

Ok, I just read the thread regarding mammalian signal sequences and saw that honeybee mellitin and Bip are being used for insect cell secretion.  But if anyone can tell me if it is worth trying the native sequence I would appreciate it!

best,

peggy

Posted on 17-Jan-2013 14:57 CET
Peggy Stolt-Bergner

Hi Peggy,

Sorry for the late reply. Haven't had a chance to check the forum.

We have some successes with native signal peptides. In some cases, we found it better than honeybee mellitin. From experience with many secretory proteins and different signal peptides, we find this matter very much protein dependent.

All the best,

Linda

Posted on 27-Mar-2013 2:54 CET
Linda Lua
Displaying 1-4 of 41