My webpage: http://docentes.fct.unl.pt/almc/
My ORCID profile: http://orcid.org/0000-0002-3824-0240
My ResearcherID profile: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/G-5638-2011
In my Institution: http://www.requimte.pt/ucibio/people/ana-luisa-car...
• November 2002: PhD in Structural Biochemistry at FCT-UNL and Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas - CSIC.
• January 1998: MSc degree in Biophysics at FC-UL and ITQB-UNL.
• June 1996: First year of the MSc course in Biophysics and Medical Physics at IBEB-FC-UL).
Present academic duties:
• 2003-... Research Assistant Professor of Research Unit UCIBIO-REQUIMTE at FCT-UNL
• 2012-... Member (substitute) of the Scientific Council of FCT-UNL, as delegate of the Researchers.
• 2003-... Coordinator of the FCT-UNL team, part of the Portuguese Block Allocation Group (BAG-Portugal), at the European Synchrotron Radiation Facility (ESRF).
• Registered and frequent user of the synchrotron radiation facilities: ESRF (Grenoble, France), SLS (Villigen, Switzerland), DIAMOND (Oxford, UK) and SOLEIL (Paris, France).
• 1998-...Responsible for the management and operation of the X-ray diffraction facilities at FCT-UNL.
• Teaching support in the Biochemistry section of the Chemistry Department at FCT-UNL (1st, 2nd and 3rd cycles) and organization and teaching in several post-graduation hands-on courses.
Prizes and distinctions:
• Best poster award at the Summer Course in Glycosciences (12–16 June 2016), in Groningen, Netherlands (attributed to PhD student Viviana Correia)
• Best poster award at GLUPOR11, Viseu, Portugal, 6-10 September, 2015 (attributed to PhD student Diana Ribeiro)
• Best poster award at 1st FEBS-INSTRUCT Crystallization Course: Advanced methods in macromolecular crystallization VI, Nové Hrady, Czech Republic, 2014 (attributed to PhD student Diana Ribeiro)
• Bluepharma / Universidade de Coimbra Innovation Award (2013 edition), attributed to project's PI Paula Videira (FCM UNL)
• António Xavier Prize (2013 edition) ,awarded to PhD student Aldino Viegas, for the Best National Thesis in the field of NMR.
• Santander-Totta/NOVA Scientific Merit Award (2012/2013 edition)
• Best poster award at 3rd ENURS & ESRF Day, IPL, Leiria, Portugal, 8 April, 2014 (attributed to PhD student Viviana Correia)
• Best poster award at the 9th Carbohydrate Bioengeneering Meeting, Lisbon, 2011 (attributed to PhD student Aldino Viegas)
• 2nd best poster presentation at III Bienal of GERMN (attributed to PhD student Aldino Viegas)
• External examiner in several PhD and MSc dissertations
• Referee of international peer-reviewed journals
Financed projects (as PI):
• PTDC/BBB-BEP/0869/2014 “B.EST.CBM: An integrative structural biology approach to characterize the protein- carbohydrate microbial recognition"
• RECI/BBB-BEP/0124/2012 “Modern Structural Biology: Resources for the advancement of in-house X-ray Crystallography"
• PTDC/QUI-BIQ/100359/2008 "The Cellulosome assembly: structure, function and specificity of new cellulases and supramolecular complexes"
• Projecto Acções Integradas Luso-Espanholas Acordo FCT-CSIC: 2010/11 "Structural properties of xenobiotic reductases responsible for aromatic ring reduction" (co-proponent with Pieter van Dillewijn, CSIC, Granada)
• PTDC/QUI/68286/2006 “A combined approach of X-ray Crystallography, NMR and Computational Chemistry for the study of the molecular interactions that define the ligand specificity in cellulosomal Carbohydrate Binding Modules” • “Molecular Determinants of Ligand Specificity in Family 11 Carbohydrate Binding Modules: An X-ray
Crystallography, NMR and Computational Chemistry combined approach” Project supported by Laboratório Associado ReQuimTe - Química Verde - Tecnologia e Processos Limpos (co-proponent with Eurico Cabrita)
Financed projects (as member of team):
• PTDC/BIA-MIC/5947/2014 “Molecular determinants of bacterial cellulosome diversity in different ecological niches" PI at FCT-UNL
• PTDC/DTP-FTO/1981/2014 "ACTONP53: Targeting p53 family proteins: on the route to new anticancer agents" PI at FCT-UNL
• PTDC/BBB-BEP/3058/2012 “Novel approaches for protein crystallization using ionic liquid-based systems” PI at FCT-UNL
• EXPL/BBB-BEP/0506/2012 “Development of cohesin-microarrays for ... specificities of novel cellulolytic species"
• PTDC/QUI-QUI/112537/2009 “A carbohydrate microarray platform for discovery of ligands in polysaccharides recognised by microbial carbohydrate-binding modules”
• PTDC/BIA-PRO/103980/2008 “Structure and function of novel Glycoside Hydrolases and Carbohydrate-Binding Modules of Clostridium thermocellum cellulosome”
• PTDC/QUI/64733/2006 “Xanthine Oxidase-Related Enzymes: Structure, Function and Specificity”
• PTDC/BIA-PRO/69732/2006 “Estrutura e função de novos módulos de ligação a carbohidratos e complexos coesina-doquerina do Clostridium thermocellum”
• POCI/PPCDT/BIA-PRO/59118/2004 "Molecular determinants of ... and cohesin-dockerin complexes"
Citation metrics (Web of Knowledge): Total articles in publication list: 40; Articles with citation data: 35; Sum of the times cited: 816; Average citations per article: 23.31; h-index: 14
• ISBio2015: Integrative Structural Biology tools for the study of protein-ligand interactions, 6-12 October, DQ-FCT- UNL (co-organization with Eurico Cabrita and teaching). INSTRUCT-COST supported training course (http://eventos.fct.unl.pt/isbio).
• ISBio2014: Integrative Structural Biology tools for the study of protein-ligand interactions, 6-12 October, DQ-FCT- UNL (co-organization with Eurico Cabrita and teaching). INSTRUCT-COST supported training course.
• Member of the Organizing Committee of the event 2014, International Year of Crystallography at FCT-UNL (http://xtal.dq.fct.unl.pt/iycr2014), includes regular conferences by national and international speakers, a photo competition (Crystals & Symmetry) and an exhibition, from April 2014 to April 2015.
• Summer Course (editions 2009-2012: Hands-On Course in Proteins and Proteomics, FCT-UNL (co-organization and teaching in the X-ray Crystallography module).
• Member of the Organizing Committee of the event 2011, International Year of Chemistry at FCT-UNL (http://www.dq.fct.unl.pt/IYC2011).
• Chair of the Session for Young Scientists at IBIO2010, BIT’s 3rd Annual World Congress of Industrial Biotechnology, 24-27 July, Dalian, People’s Republic of China.
• REQUIMTE Advanced Courses (editions 2000-2010): Protein Crystallography, FCT-UNL (co-organization and teaching).
• Collaborator in the organization of the course “Structure and Function of Metalloproteins”, at ITQB, 1998.
• Collaborator in the organization of the XVIIth European Crystallographic Meeting, at IST, 1997.