The single-particle school is a unique and intensive 12-day hands-on course/workshop, in which theory and practice are tightly intertwined.
The understanding of the principles of cryo-EM data processing stands central in this event and a few cryo-EM pioneers will explain the approaches to the participants to a level where they can apply it themselves.
The spectrum of topics covered suits attendees who are new to the field as well as those for whom the technique is of growing importance and who wish to acquire an in-depth understanding of the fundamental principles.
The final days of the meeting will be devoted to advanced topics such as high-resolution refinements and the processing of heterogeneous data sets ("4D cryo-EM"). Advanced topics will include:
1) Optimizing data collection with direct electrons detectors and exploiting movies.
2) Full data set automatic CTF correction.
3) Correction of anisotropic magnification.
4) Reaching atomic resolution without reference bias: alignment-by-classification (ABC-4D) refinement procedures.
5) Unbiased "Random Startup" of 3D and 4D reconstructions.
6) 4D refinement procedures for high-resolution results using IMAGIC and Frealign/cisTEM.
7) Fitting and refining atomic coordinates in high-resolution cryo-EM maps (~4Å or better) using programs such as REFMAC and Coot.
8) Validation of final results by reproducible resolution criteria.
For more information and to register, click here.