ESRF is seeking to recruit a Director of Research in the area of Condensed Matter and Physical and Material Sciences. Together with the Director of Research for Life Sciences, Chemistry and Soft Matter Science, he/she will be responsible for the:
- Promotion of scientific excellence in the use of the ESRF facilities by scientists from partner countries and worldwide.
- Delivery and operation of the new beamline portfolio in the context of the ESRF Upgrade Programme, and generally the meeting of the objectives of this Programme.
- Operation, maintenance and upgrade of existing and future beamlines, and support to the scientific user communities, including management of the beam time assignment process.
- Implementation of the ESRF Data Policy.
- Implementation of an industrial programme centred on the exploitation of ESRF beamlines and platforms to the benefit of proprietary research of interested commercial companies.
- Preparation of future scientific programme plans, financial estimates and staffing plans and, in particular, for the definition of needs in terms of IT, IT infrastructure and related resources in the frame of the new opportunities offered by the EBS storage ring performances and scientific reach.
- Management of the Division’s capital investment and running annual expenditure budget (about 12 M€).
- Management of the Division’s staff, 75% of whom are scientists, and relations with the (presently) fourteen Collaborating Research Groups (CRGs) operating national beamlines at the ESRF.
- Promotion and management of an in-house research programme enabling the Experiments Division scientists to carry out state-of-the-art scientific investigations, and maintaining the competitiveness of the ESRF experimental programme.
- Planning and implementation of the beamline renewal and refurbishment programmes in coordination with the ESRF technical support Divisions.
The Directors of Research are assisted in their daily tasks, by a secretariat, six Group Head scientists, and the Heads of the Business Development Office, CRG Office and User Office.
Furthermore, the Directors of Research are given the opportunity to pursue their own research interest with appropriate resources.
The Directors of Research, the Director of the Accelerator and Source Division and the Director of Administration, along with the Heads of the Technical Infrastructure and of the Instrument Support and Development divisions, constitute the ESRF Senior Management reporting directly to the Director General.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE: The successful candidate is expected to be an internationally renowned X-ray scientist in a field related to Life Sciences, Chemistry and Soft Matter Science. He/she must have extensive experience in the use of synchrotron radiation for cutting-edge research and should have proven strategic leadership, including the capacity to conceive and implement an experimental programme commensurate to available resources (staff and investment budget). Skills in implementing and following up the ESRF experimental programme on the basis of modern managerial and project management schemes are also expected. The working language at the ESRF is English. Knowledge of French would be an asset.
APPLICATIONS: The ESRF fosters an open and family-friendly policy at all levels in the organisation and, in the present Directors of Research recruitment campaign, the ESRF is ready to discuss with the successful candidate actions favouring her/his installation in the Grenoble area.
In order to apply to the position of Director of Research for Life Sciences, Chemistry and Soft Matter Science at the ESRF, interested candidates are invited to address by e-mail their CV and motivation letter to the Chair of the Search and Recruitment Committee, Professor Miguel Ángel García Aranda: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr Francesco Sette, ESRF Director General, can be contacted at email@example.com for more details concerning the position.
The post is a 5 year appointment
Deadline for returning applications: 19/07/2020