Field of Study: Protein X-Ray and Neutron Crystallography.
Rational Drug Design.
A) PERSONAL DATA
Name: Alberto Daniel Podjarny Birthdate: May 13,1950
Nationality: French. Marital status: Married, 2 children.
Adress:3, Rue Hansi, 67380 Lingolsheim Tel: (33) 88772604
B) PROFESSIONAL DATA
Degree: Ph. D., Weizmann Institute of Science, Israel, 1977.
Current Position: Directeur de Recherche (1 classe), CNRS, IGBMC (1986-currently). .
Adress: IGBMC, BP 163, 67404 Illkirch, France.
My scientific interest is the development of crystallographic methodology and its application to biological problems, mainly neutron diffraction and ultra high resolution crystallography. Lately, I am particularly interested in the subatomic resolution X-Ray crystallography for the structural study of pharmaceutical targets and its application to rational drug design.
C1. Previous Positions:
1) Assistant. La Plata University, Argentina 1968-1972
1)Senior Scientist, CONICET, La Plata University, Argentina 1977-1983.
2) Assistant Professor, La Plata University, Argentina, 1979-1983.
3) Visiting Associate Professor, Departments of Biophysics and Theoretical Biology, University of Chicago, 1983-1984.
4.) Research Associate (Assistant Professor), Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology,University of Chicago,1985-1986.
Kennedy prize to best Ph. D. thesis, Weizmann Institute, 1975.
C3. Participation in meeting organization.
7 International meetings organized, including participation in program committee of IUCR meeting. Chairman of three microsymposia at IUCR meetings.
C4. Scientific direction
6 thesis and 8 postdoctoral fellows directed
91 peer reviewed and 32 invited publications, 2 edited books, 1 authored book
The 7 main publications are:
1) ‘Crystal structure of a Eukariotic Initiator tRNA'. RW. Schevitz, A.D. Podjarny, N.Krishnamachari, J. J. Hughes, P.B. Sigler and J.L. Sussman Nature, 278, 188, 1979 .
2) ' Class II aminoacyl tRNA synthetases: Crystal structure of yeast Aspartyl tRNA synthetase complexed with tRNAAsp. ‘M. Ruff, S. Krishnaswamy, M. Boeglin, A. Poterszman, A. Mitschler, A. Podjarny, B. Rees, J.C. Thierry, D. Moras. Science,252,1682-1689, 1991.
3) ' Novel NADPH binding domain revealed by the crystal structure of Aldose Reductase'. J.M. Rondeau, F. Tete, A. D. Podjarny, J.M. Reymann, P. Barth, J.F. Biellman and D. Moras. Nature,355, 469-472, 1992.
4) “Ultra-high resolution drug design I: Human aldose reductase – inhibitor complex at 0.66 Å shows experimentally protonation states and atomic interactions which have implications for the inhibition mechanism” E.I. Howard, R. Sanishvili, R.E. Cachau, A. Mitschler, B. Chevrier, P. Barth, V. Lamour, M. Van Zandt, E. Sibley, C. Bon, D. Moras, T. R. Schneider, A. Joachimiak& A. D. Podjarny. Proteins: Struct Funct Genet.55, 792-804 ,2004
5) “Quantum model of catalysis based on a mobile proton revealed by subatomic X-Ray and neutron diffraction studies of h-Aldose Reductase”Matthew Blakeley, Federico Ruiz, Raul Cachau, Isabelle Hazemann, Flora Meilleur, Andre Mitschler, Stephan Ginell, Pavel Afonine, Oscar N. Ventura, Alexandra Cousido-Siah, Michael Haertlein, Andrzej Joachimiak, Dean Myles and Alberto Podjarny, PNAS, 105, 1844-1848, 2008.
7)”Neutron structure of type III Antifreeze Protein allows the reconstruction of AFP-ice interface” Eduardo I. Howard, Matthew P. Blakeley, Michael Haertlein, Isabelle Petit-Haertlein, Andre Mitschler, Stuart J. Fisher, Alexandra Cousido-Siah, Andrés G. Salvay, Alexandre Popov, Christoph Muller-Dieckmann, Tatiana Petrova and Alberto PodjarnyThe Journal of Molecular Recognition, 24, 724-732, 2011
C6. Participation at meetings
90 Invited conferences to International Meetings, 63 publications in meetings proceedings.
10 grants awarded, including NIH, ANR, Human Science Frontiers Program, CEE, Hereditary Disease Foundation, and bilateral collaborations with Argentina, Russia, USA and Germany.
14 international collaborations.