Data Scientist/Senior Data Scientist
STFC Rutherford Appleton Laboratory, UK, Didcot, United Kingdom
Application deadline: 23 Oct 2020
This post will leverage the skills and experience in the SciML and CCP-EM groups to produce to create a rich metadata pipeline which will allow datasets to be achieved effectively to provide rich training data. This will empower the development of next-generation ML algorithms for this project, through the collaborations at the partner sites, as well as for other developers in the cryoEM community. Furthermore, the post will use the metadata collected to learn optimal processing pathways to guide new users and improve automated pipelines. Finally, this post will also explore how the dynamic reconstructions can be applied to atomic models using steered molecular dynamics.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop ML or relevant techniques to understand, interpret and extract features from experimental datasets
- Implement these techniques in a commonly used programming language, like Python
- Gather annotated datasets that can be used to develop future ML algorithms
- Contributing to learning and development at the Rutherford Appleton Lab, and supporting its community by:
- Presenting work internally and externally
- Publishing work in peer-reviewed journals
- Helping researchers to understand the power and limitations of Machine Learning technologies applied to their real-world data
- Assisting in running training courses and providing consultancy to both university and industrial users.
Contacts and Communication
- Regular contact with staff internally and with the collaborators across Cambridge, LMB, UCL and Alan Turing Institute sites
- Assist in organising and coordinating technical meetings and relevant project events as appropriate
- Maintain effective engagement with stakeholders and collaborators.
Personal Skills and Attributes
- Strong communication skills (verbal, written, and presentation)
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, set priorities and make decisions independently
- Ability to work with uncertain requirements to develop a consensus on a plan of action
- High level of self-motivation and drive
- The ability to work as a team member delivering commitments on time
- A proven track record of analytical and problem-solving skills.
Find out more and apply.