Full-Time Research Associate (protein purification/crystallization)
The New York Structural Biology Center is a leading research institution located in Manhattan specializing in structural biology of macromolecules. We are seeking a Research Associate to work in our protein production/X-ray crystallography group. Duties will focus on cloning of expression constructs, protein expression/purification, and crystallization experiments.
We seek a candidate with a master's degree in biology, biochemistry, or a closely related discipline, who will be working on a team with other research associates under guidance and direction from PhD level scientists. Bachelor's degree candidates may be considered if the candidate can show extensive practical experience in the field. We will NOT consider any PhD level applicants for this position.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- cloning of expression constructs
- protein expression and purification from bacterial systems
- downstream protein biochemistry and protein crystallization experiments
- general laboratory maintenance and ordering of supplies
The successful candidate will be responsible for cloning expression constructs, protein expression and protein purification using GE Healthcare FPLC/AKTA chromatography systems, and protein crystallization trials. It is crucial that the candidate be fluent in working with computer-controlled equipment and computer interfaces.
Candidates must meet the following requirements to be considered:
- a master's degree in biology, biochemistry, or a closely related discipline
- extensive experience with bacterial protein expression
- experience with GE Healthcare FPLC/AKTA protein purification systems
- fluent in working with computer-controlled equipment and computer interfaces
- proven ability to multi-task on multiple independent projects at the same time
- excellent communication and organizational skills
- ability to work in a team environment with others
Salary level is commensurate with qualifications and experience. Please send a copy of your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org in your reply.